Jet Lag (First World Problems)

I never believed in jet lag. I thought it was just an excuse that people used to explain away their post-vacation depression. That it gave them a reason to wallow in bed while the dreamed up the care-free days there were so recently enjoying. But then I went to Japan. And came home from Japan. And BAM! Suddenly I am getting a crash course in the awful limbo that is jet lag.

Let me paint you a little picture: I got home from the airport Sunday around 11:30am and hadn't slept since about 5pm Saturday. I was able to take a 5 hour nap before I was up again for the day and didn't go back to bed until after 1am. Then, on Monday, I got up around 5am to Skype with Josh and promptly fell back asleep... and I didn't wake up until 4pm!!! When I looked at my clock I was SO confused! I thought maybe it was still on Japan time, surely I didn't waste an entire day in bed! But I did. And then I didn't go to sleep until 3am last night, only to wake up at 5am, wide awake with a horrible migraine and nausea. And I couldn't go back to sleep until sometime after 9am. I had set my alarm originally for 10am, but changed it to 11:30am at some point and cursed it when it woke me. Feeling slightly better, I dragged myself out of bed to run a few errands and eat some protein (realizing that I literally only ate candy and few slices of bread on Monday). The food made me feel a ton better but by 3pm, I was exhausted again. I turned off the light and was OUT. Woke up at 4pm when my alarm went off (because I surely only need an hour nap at most, I had told myself) but quickly reset in for 5pm and went back to sleep. I really think I could have slept through the night, or at least most of it, but I'm up now and the only thing keeping me awake is the thought of the Red Robin cheeseburger I'm going to devour when I meet Kya for dinner in an hour. :)

So jet lag, something I never believed in, is now my excuse for why my blog has been so neglected (and also why I look like a zombie). I promise to do a recap of my trip to Japan soon... hopefully tomorrow, but for now, here's a couple of the last few snapshots I got with my iPhone, plus a video of the amazing sushi train...

Sushi train! The most delicious sushi I've ever had. Except for the shrimp thing. I didn't eat those. :-P

The purple and orange plates were my favorite! 


Our stack of plates from sushi

Yes, I realize a lot of my pictures and posts have been about food but come on! That's one of the best things about traveling!

Lunch at the airport with my Hawaiian. <3

He found the one restaurant that had shave ice because that's how much he loves me! :-D

More later. For now *yaaaaaaaaaaawnnnnnn* I may go back to bed... ;-) Please, if you have any tips on how to combat jet lag, TELL ME!

Comments

Popular Posts