Yellow Tulips and God

Two years ago, I planted tulip bulbs in the front of Josh's house (it was still just his house but he was kind enough to let me plant, such a good boyfriend). It was a mix bag of bulbs with a variety of colors, fairly inexpensive for my first attempt at gardening. Last year, when they bloomed, I was SO excited and felt like an expert gardner. My sister was quick to remind me how easy it is for tulips to grow, literally all that I had to do was plant the bulbs after all, but nevertheless, it was a feeling of accomplishment. I love tulips so much and when the tulips started coming up again this year, I once again felt a ridiculous amount of excitement. It was strange though, most of them that bloomed this year were yellow. A few red ones were scattered about but the vast majority of them were yellow. I didn't mind it, I like yellow and all, but it was curious and I wondered on more then one occasion how it happened. 



Then, on Friday April 4th, a dear friend passed away rather unexpectedly. Her funeral service was last Saturday and I had offered to make little floral centerpieces for the tables at the reception. I was planning on purchasing a mix of tulips from the local floral shop but then I was told that Jean's favorite color was yellow. And then I knew. I knew the reason why my tulips were all yellow. And it brought tears to my eyes and joy to my heart, confirming my belief in God and the Bible verse from Matthew chapter 5, verse 4: "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted." 


Jean and I, at my bridal shower, May 2013.

Jean was such a sweet soul whose love and faith in God has been an incredible example to me these last four years. I am so thankful for her life, her encouragement, her prayers, her family, her home, and all the love she bestowed upon me. It's such a comfort to know that she is safely home in Heaven now. 

Comments

Popular Posts